The Best Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins Recipe Ever
A bold statement I know, but I'm pretty sure these are the best stuffed sweet potatoes ever. They are absolutely delish, so filling and actually kind of healthy! I adapted the recipe from this one (her photos are so much better than mine!) to give it a more Mediterranean feel because I love the flavours and to be in with a chance of winning a cruise (why not!), you can find out more about how you can enter too here.
I discovered these during my vegetarian endeavour to discover new recipes with pretty basic ingredients that I could whip up after work, and they will definitely be a firm fixture in our diet in the future. Just maybe with a little less cheese next time...
Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins Recipe
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- A glug of olive oil tablespoons butter
- Half a red onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- Half a bag of fresh spinach
- A tablespoon of light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of light cream cheese
- Half a tin of chickpeas
- Half a ball of Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake the sweet potatoes for around 25 minutes (or until cooked through) in preheated oven at 180 degrees.
- While they're in the oven, sautee the garlic and chopped onion with the olive oil until translucent. The add the spinach and cook down. Put to one side to cool.
- Take out the sweet potatoes and leave to cool for a few minutes. Then scoop out the inside into a bowl, making sure to leave a little around the edges so the potato skins can support themselves. Return the skins to the oven for around 5 minutes so they can crisp up.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with the cream cheese and sour cream, then stir in the chickpeas and spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture to the sweet potato skins, tear up mozzarella and add to the top. Finish with a sprinkle of black better and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve piping hot and enjoy! They make a great side dish or main with salad.