I've been meaning to try out a recipe for Pecan Pie ever since I saw a snap of my friend's Thanksgiving dessert last month, but this weekend was the first time I've had a chance to have a go!
I opted for a grain and dairy free recipe to keep it a little bit healthier (my December diet has mostly been chocolate and wine so far...) and it's also great to have some free from recipes ready to go around Christmas time to cater for everyone.
The original recipe is for a full pie but I've adapted it for the festive season with mini, individual pecan pies, perfect for sharing!
- 260g Ground Blanched Almonds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Rock Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Egg
- 6 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 85g of Organic Cocoa
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup finely shredded courgette
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Teaspoon Sweet Freedom Natural Sweetener
- 150g Pecan Halves
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees and, if you're making individual pies, grease a muffin tray with coconut oil but if you want to make a larger one, grease and line a 9" cake tin.
- Mix together almonds, salt, coconut oil and egg until it forms a dough. Press the dough into the tray and set aside.
- Before preparing the filling, make sure to squeeze all of the liquid out of the courgette, if there's too much liquid left it will make the filling too loose.
- Add melted coconut oil, cocoa, eggs, courgette, vanilla and sweetener and blend. Stir in two thirds of the pecans and blend again.
- Fill the pastry cases (or case) with the filling and top with the remaining pecans and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool overnight. Top with a little more sweetener for a glaze, mine didn't turn out super neat so it covers any mishaps too!
*Discount Supplements provided me with a couple of the ingredients for this recipe, click on the links above to find out more.