The Perfect Weekend Cocktail
After a day spent blowing away the cobwebs (and admiring some beautiful ones) myself and Joe are settling down to a well deserved night in, usually that means watching a film and working our way through the best part of a bottle of wine (or all of it...), but while we were wandering through the fells we decided to experiment with cocktails and treat ourselves to a slab of steak.
Joe is suffering from a cold so he's plumped for a gin version of a hot toddy tonight, but I've decided to recreate a cocktail I had in Hawksmoor last month, a delicious blend of Aperol (my holiday fave), vermouth, elderflower cordial (my all time fave) and white wine. It's a year round twist on the classic Aperol Spritz and is perfect for autumn. It's also the ideal shade for Halloween cocktails, just replace the orange peel with a creepy sweet!
Because it's so dreamy, I thought I'd share the recipe with you, because if I can make, you definitely can!
- A shot of Vermouth
- A teaspoon of Picon Bier (or orange bitters)
- A glug of Elderflower Cordial
- A splash of Sauvignon Blanc
- A top up of Aperol
- A Lemon (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
- Combine the Vermouth, Picon Bier or bitters and elderflower cordial in a glass. Preferably choose one that you'd expect Don Draper to drink from, it's all about the cut glass.
- Add a splash of Sauvignon Blanc and top up with Aperol, think 1 part wine and 2 parts Aperol.
- Add a slice of lemon peel (or Halloween treats if you feel so inclined) and serve over ice.